All submissions to Gyroscope Review must be made via our submissions manager, Submittable. We do not accept submissions via post or email.
Our response time is between 1 – 3 months. Please submit no more than four (4) poems, all in the same document with page breaks between poems.
- Once you have submitted, please do not submit again within the same reading period. Multiple submissions will be rejected after the first one.
Winter issue: October 1 – December 1
Spring issue: January 15 – March 1
Summer issue: April 1 – June 1
Fall Crone Power issue: July 1 – September 1
NOTE: All reading periods are subject to closing early if we receive enough outstanding work to fill the upcoming issue.
- Please follow the instructions on the submissions form in Submittable.
- Submit no more than 4 poems. There are no length restrictions on individual poems. Make sure each poem is on its own page. Use page breaks in between poems.
- Formats we accept: .doc, .docx, .rtf.
- No title underlines, lines separating poems, weird formatting, or non-standard fonts and settings. Please. We beg of you.
- Headers and footers are not necessary.
- Please use 12 pt Times New Roman, Garamond, or Arial type and 1″ margins.
- No pictures or artwork.
- Note: If all your poem lines start with capital letters, we will adjust if necessary to reflect our contemporary style. (Here’s how to correct that in Microsoft Word. Word Tips.)
WE DO NOT ACCEPT PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED MATERIAL. This includes publications in print, on the Internet including on Facebook, poetry sites, and personal blogs. Poetry workshopped behind password protected sites is okay. Please do not reprint your poem on your blog until 3 months have passed, and give Gyroscope Review credit as first publisher.
We do not accept translations at this time unless the translation is the poet’s own work.
Please do not submit if you are not open to being edited. We will work with you on edits.
No racist, or any other -ist, derogatory, anti-LGBTQA+, or pornographic material. This is determined by the judgment of the editors. By all means, push the envelope, but do so in a tasteful manner.
By submitting you attest that the work is your own.
- Anonymous submissions are not allowed; pen names are acceptable.
Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we ask that you consider our acceptance of your poem(s) as a commitment to be published by Gyroscope Review, and the poem(s) will not be withdrawn after acceptance to go to another publication. That would make us sad. And irritated. If a submission is accepted elsewhere please notify us immediately through Submittable. We’ll be happy for you, we promise! See our FAQ on how to withdraw single poems or the whole submission.
Gyroscope Review retains the right to use the accepted work in future anthologies as well as in the online archives of magazines. If your work is accepted for publication, we ask only for the right to publish it for the first time, in both digital and print formats. All rights revert to the author after publication. All accepted work will be archived on the website. Gyroscope Review submits poems to the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net as well as other awards.
Please include a bio in the third person of 100 words or less with your submission under the cover letter section.
- Bios longer than this will be edited down to 100 words.
Gyroscope Review is open to poetry in all genres, including science-fiction, fantasy, and horror. Rhyming poetry is a hard sell unless extremely well done. We are open to traditional forms, but again, they must be well done. Poems about writing poems are generally a pass unless it brings something new to the table.
We publish quarterly. Note – Gyroscope Review is not a paying market. We don’t offer contributor’s copies at this time, but we do offer a free PDF of the issue to read online. Print editions are available on Amazon and through Book Depository.
© 2024 Gyroscope Review All Rights Reserved